We are committed to transparency about how we process your personal data, and to protecting your privacy.
The UK Council for Graduate Education (“UKCGE”) processes personal data as a “Data Controller” as defined in the Data Protection Act 2018 (“the DPA”) and the GDPR as retained in UK law by the Data Protection, Privacy and Electronic Communications (Amendments etc) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 (“the UK GDPR”). This notice relates to information about you which will be collected by UKCGE and processed as described below.
The information we collect
UKCGE collects the following information about our stakeholders which is relevant to the running of the organisation:
- Name, job title, address, telephone number, affiliated faculty/school/department, affiliated institution, dietary requirements and email address.
- Information that records the subscription payments by members over the full period of their membership of UKCGE.
- Information specifying the way a member’s account is managed by us, such as whether the member has opted to receive emails from UKCGE.
- For equality monitoring purposes, we may request data from stakeholders relating to personal characteristics. This information is collected anonymously.
- For participants in the UKCGE Research Supervision Recognition Programme we also collect the application form and the outcome of the application.
We use this information to:
- Conduct research on the postgraduate sector.
- Help manage the member institution’s account.
- Maintain normal contact with members by email and/or post.
- Send email newsletters.
- Manage online and in-person events.
- For internal monitoring purposes to assess the effectiveness of our engagement activities.
Who will we share your data with?
We do not normally share data with any third parties. The following exceptions may apply:
- When external suppliers are used to assist with UKCGE communications. In that instance, data is used for UKCGE purposes only, as specified above.
- When the UKCGE has undertaken research in collaboration. In that instance, data is used in compliance with agreed research ethics protocols for the project.
- For participants in the UKCGE Research Supervision Recognition Programme, we share the application form with a UKCGE appointed application review panel. This is strictly confidential.
Data transfers to other countries
Your personal data may be transferred to countries outside the European Union for the purposes described above. UKCGE will only transfer personal data outside the European Union where adequate safeguards are in place.
The DPA and the UK GDPR give you the right to know what information is processed about you and how it is processed. You also have the following rights (limited in certain circumstances):
- To access your personal information;
- To rectify inaccurate information;
- To restrict processing of your information;
- To object to processing of your information.
You can exercise your rights at any time by contacting us at UKCGE, Unit 22, Lichfield Centre, The Friary, WS13 6QG or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to this policy
Any material changes we make to our privacy notice in the future will be posted on this page and, if appropriate, sent to members by email.