Postgraduate Sector Data
Information about who is studying for a postgraduate award in the UK
Types of Postgraduate Award
The UK Council for Graduate Education is primarily concerned with postgraduate awards which reach the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications thresholds for Level 7 (Masters or M Level) and Level 8 (Doctoral or D Level). However there are a number of other categories of postgraduate award.
The Higher Education Statics Agency defines postgraduate awards in the following way:
- Postgraduate courses are those leading to higher degrees, diplomas and certificates (including Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE at level M) (unless shown separately) and professional qualifications) which usually require a first degree as an entry qualification (i.e. already qualified at level H).
- Postgraduate (research) includes doctorate (incorporating New Route PhD), masters degrees and postgraduate diplomas or certificates (not Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) at level M) studied primarily through research.
- Postgraduate (taught) includes doctorate, and masters degrees, postgraduate bachelors degrees at level M and postgraduate diplomas or certificates not studied primarily through research, including Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) at level M (unless shown separately), Masters in Teaching and Learning, level M Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector, and professional qualifications.
- Higher degree (research) includes doctorate (incorporating the ‘New Route PhD’) and masters degrees studied primarily through research. Many students who study for a doctoral qualification will initially be enrolled on a masters course and will transfer to a doctorate course after a year or two. For this reason, numbers of doctoral students may be under-counted and numbers of masters students may be over-counted where this factor is not taken into account.
- Higher degree (taught) includes doctorate and masters degrees not studied primarily through research, and postgraduate bachelors degrees at level M. Masters in Teaching and Learning are included in this category.
- Other postgraduate includes postgraduate diplomas, certificates and professional qualifications, Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE at level M), level 7 Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector, HE provider postgraduate credits and non-formal postgraduate qualifications
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education are those PGCE qualifications which are studied or awarded at level M. The Postgraduate Diploma in Education is a similar initial teacher training qualification to the PGCE, but with a greater proportion of study at level M.
Total Postgraduate Enrolments 2016 — 2021
|Other postgraduate research||12,120||11,000||10,615||9,000||9,235|
|Institutional credit at postgraduate research||315||330||335||325||205|
|Postgraduate Certificate in Education||24,030||24,960||26,340||25,890||31,175|
|Other postgraduate taught||75,150||76,040||73,415||71,215||81,585|
|Institutional credit at postgraduate taught||25,985||23,540||23,070||23,630||32,120|